This is a fabulous trip for moderately fit people - age we found is no bar.
Victor and Ashley our guides were very encouraging, and we were lucky with beautiful weather. Cool at night and mostly fine days. The camp cooking was exceptional for wilderness cuisine. The wild flowers were stunning especially the prickly scaparia, of many hues. The buttongrass moorlands with mountains behid were vistas from heaven. This should be on all eco-friendly Australians' bucket list.
Cradle Mountain & Overland Track Walking Tours
About Cradle Mountain
Part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, Cradle Mountain forms the northern end of the Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair National Park. The area is one of the most popular places for walkers and trekkers visiting Tasmania as it is the starting point for the Overland Track, one of Australia’s most famous walking experiences.
Walking the Overland Track -
Australia’s most iconic ‘bushwalk’
Whether you’re from the mainland of Australia, further afield or even lucky enough to live in Tasmania, walking this classic Tasmanian trek in the Cradle Mountain National Park is a walking experience every hiker should undertake.
The Overland Track attracts many walkers each year and thanks to the graded trail it is protected from the impact of the many feet that walk it each season. The Overland Track’s graded trail also makes it ideal for first time bushwalkers.
Summer or winter, camping or huts, guided or self guided - with Tasmanian Expeditions you can choose to walk the Overland Track exactly the way you want.
- The Overland Track: Classic camping based guided trip offering many more side trips.
- Cradle Huts Overland Track: A slower paced walk returning to comfortable hut accommodation.
- Overland Track Winter Walk: Escape the crowds, maybe snap on some snowshoes and enjoy the solitude.
- Overland Track Self Guided Walk: We handle nearly every logistic except for the actual walking, perfect for independent travellers.
Cradle Mountain walking tours – the widest range of walks
Each of our walks in the Cradle Mountain region, from the dolerite crags of Cradle Mt to the rainforest-clad shores of Lake St. Clair, is led by a passionate, experienced, first aid trained wilderness guide who will help to bring The Overland Track to life. Our guides will also share their local knowledge & enthusiasm for this special part of the Tasmanian wilderness. Every walking guide doubles as a seasoned wilderness chef, so if you’re planning to walk in Cradle Mountain to lose some weight you may want to think again!
Our company first offered the Overland Track back in the late 60’s as Craclair. Today, we offer a range of options to suit many different fitness levels and budgets, including;
- 3-day Cradle Mountain Family Adventure: The ideal escape for active families, with the optional climb of Cradle Mountain. Ask about discounts for larger families.
- 6-day Cradle Huts Overland Track: Discover the World Heritage listed Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair National Park and enjoy walking between the comfort and warmth of each evenings private hut accommodation.
- 6-day Overland Track Self Guided Walk: Trave at your own pace and explore Cradle Mountain until your heart is content!
- 6-day Overland Track: the classic version of Tasmania’s most famous walking trail.
- 7-day Overland Track Winter Trek: walk the silent, snowy trails during winter.
Experience Cradle Mountain and the Overland Track with Tasmanian Expeditions, the Tasmanian walking and trekking specialists.